Register for Account
To access some areas of the site you need to register for an account.Register Now
Frequently Asked Questions
MyFoodAdvisor is a tool that has many features that make it unique compared to other tools you'll find online. It is a database from which you can look up food information. But the greatest feature of this tool is in how you can access the information and what you can do with that information. Here is a brief overview:
- You can search for a food by setting criteria. For example: if your doctor says, "Eat more fiber!" You can search the database of foods by setting criteria for all foods with more than 3 grams of fiber. You can also search the database by setting criteria for sodium, carbohydrate, saturated fat, and calories.
- In the MyFoodAdvisor database, all of the serving sizes for carbohydrate-containing foods are based on about 15 grams of carbohydrate. So the information provided to you through MyFoodAdvisor is different than what you will find on a Nutrition Facts panel on a food label. This is a good thing because if you have diabetes, it is easier to compare foods and plan meals if the carbohydrate is consistent for all food choices.
- The food display includes 22 nutrients including potassium and phosphorus. These nutrients are hard to find on traditional labels or other online tools available, yet information about these nutrients are critical for people with kidney disease.
- Comparing foods is a breeze because MyFoodAdvisor allows you to compare foods by viewing the foods on the same screen. If the carbohydrate is similar for two foods, you can quickly turn your focus to compare other important information about fat, fiber and sodium or any of the other nutrients.
- Looking for other food ideas? MyFoodAdvisor allows you to get suggestions from our "Healthier Alternatives" option so making new, healthy food choices is easier.